I am pleased to pass along the following information regarding Olin-Smith-Searle Fellowships for the upcoming 2012-13 academic year. The application deadline is March 15, 2012.
2012 – 2013
The Olin-Searle-Smith Fellows in Law program will offer top young legal thinkers the opportunity to spend a year working full time on writing and developing their scholarship with the goal of entering the legal academy. Up to three fellowships will be offered for the 2012-2013 academic year.
A distinguished group of academics will select the Fellows. Criteria include:
- Dedication to teaching and scholarship
- A J.D. and extremely strong academic qualifications (such as significant clerkship or law review experience)
- Commitment to the rule of law and intellectual diversity in legal academia
- The promise of a distinguished career as a legal scholar and teacher
Stipends will include $50,000 plus benefits. While details will be worked out with the specific host school for the Fellow, in general the Fellow will be provided with an office and will be included in the life of the school. Fellows are not expected to hold other employment during the term of their fellowships.
All those who feel they fit the criteria are encouraged to apply. Applicants should submit the following:
- A resume and law school transcript
- Academic writing sample(s) with an approximately 50-page limit on the total number of pages submitted (i.e. two 25-page pieces are fine, two 50-page pieces are not)
- A brief discussion of their areas of intellectual interest (approximately 2 pages)
- A statement of their commitment to teaching law
- At least two and generally no more than three letters of support. These should come from people who can speak to your academic potential and should generally include at least two letters from law professors. If you are doing interdisciplinary work a letter from someone who can speak to your work in that area is also helpful. You may also include additional references with phone numbers.
Applications must be received no later than March 15, 2012.
Applicants will be notified in early to mid-May 2012.
Please submit applications to:
Olin-Searle-Smith Fellows in Law Program
ATTN: Tyler Lowe
c/o The Federalist Society
1015 18th Street, N.W., Suite 425
Washington, D.C. 20036
Or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Olin-Searle-Smith” in the subject line.